As part of his outreach effort, Mercer County Sheriff Ernie Kelty created a Community Services Division within the Sheriff's Office. Sheriff Kelty co-chairs the division with Sheriff's Office volunteer Dr. Earl Motzer.
Sections of the Division include:
1. Citizens Advisory Board - Citizen volunteers from all areas of the county who meet bi-monthly, assist at the Mercer County Fair and other community events to share preparedness information and perform other tasks at the request of the Sheriff. They also share expertise and be advocates for the cause of justice, safety and improved law enforcement, heighten awareness to the needs of all citizens of Mercer County and promote better law enforcement activities without benefit of personal gain or profit. To inquire about participation the Sheriff's Office.
2. Quarterly Public Continuing Education - Topics include Neighborhood Watch Programs, Substance Abuse Prevention, Crimes Against Children, Identity Theft and Senior Fraud. To suggest topics, please contact the Sheriff's Office.
3. Citizens Sheriff Academy - Citizens are invited to volunteer to learn more about law enforcement duties and responsibilities during a ten week period, and participate in a ride along program. To inquire about participation, please contact the Sheriff's Office.
4. Key Holder Information for County Businesses - At least annually visits are made to businesses to update emergency contact information and provide same to the Communications Center.
5. Social Media - Provide timely information to all citizens by using the departments website ( www.mercercosheriff.com ) and the departments facebook page.
6. Liaison with Affiliated Organizations - Crime Stoppers, Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition, Domestic Violence Coordinating Council, and GUS (Growing Up Safe).
7. WHBN Radio Show " Mercer County's Most Wanted " - Information to citizens about crimes committed, persons wanted, interviews and prevention tips.